Fancying colorful coasters for your icy-cold drinks, anybody? You see there is a dilemma, as I discern the crunchy sound of the fallen leaves crushing underneath my shoes as I walk but yet summer seems never-ending with the sun shining high and hot days not fading any soon. As I continue to suck dry the ice cube tray and the coasters I made last year given up on me! I thought let’s give them glasses company with these colorful bead coasters. I deliberately chose red and yellow keeping fall in mind as hot chocolate laden cup won’t look bad on it either. So if you need coasters or have beads collecting dust give bead coasters a try.
- Colorful robust felt sheets for base
- Assorted beads
- Glue gun
1. If you can find pre-strung beads you can skip step 1-3. String a single bead through a 3 ft long thread (neutral color like white/beige) diving the thread in half.
2. Bringing both the ends of the thread together pass 2″ inches of them through the needle.
3. Next, gather some beads in the palm of your hand and poke the needle through the individual hollows of the beads till you have the thread strung almost full. You will need around 3-4 strings of beads for a coaster measuring 3.7″inch in diameter.
4. On a piece of felt of the same color as the bead, apply a bead of glue and place three of string beads on it. Immediately, curve the string’s direction creating a loop and press onto the glue with your thumb (while avoiding contact with the hot glue lest you burn your finger). Going in a circle, continue applying glue and covering it with the string of beads. When coming to the end of a string, leave the free hanging thread aside. Then continue with yet another string from the same stop as the former ended until you have a round coaster 3.7″ inches in diameter.
5. With the pair of your sharpest scissors, trim the excess felt away by cutting around the edges of beads carefully without disturbing the placement.
Now go on and repeat the above steps to make the similar size coaster in different colors. All you have to do is make a drink and enjoy the last few days of summer for the cold is coming.
Summer or not these coasters can be made for any season, just change the color according to the season. But I like my coasters vibrant all year round, that’s me! If you happen to make it don’t forget to share with me on Instagram by tagging me @enthrallinggumption or using the hashtag #enthrallinggumption